Sunday, February 3, 2008

Orphanage in Antigua

Cherish: 
To treat with tenderness and affection,
to nurture with care; to protect and aid,
to hold dear, to embrace with interest...
We were all so excited to see Bowen again.  We were very excited to take him on our next adventure to Antigua, a little city about an hour outside of Guatemala City. 
Our morning was spend in a small orphanage in Antigua.  This was a highlight for all of us! We had anticipated our visit and with the kids help had collected 10 huge suitcases full of supplies to donate to the orphange. We were fortunate to visit on a Sunday so that all the children were there (not in school). Not knowing what we would encounter, we were pleasantly surprised at our fortune to be able to stay and play with the children.  I watched in wonder as the children of the orphanage were called in one at a time while my children fit new shoes on them. The children were so excited as they would run back to their friends yelling..."zabatos, zabatos!"  It was precious. The kids just loved it!  After unloading all the suitcases, the kids were able to give all the children a new toy to play with.  The barbies and matchbox cars were a hit. We played with the kids and enjoyed seeing the smiles on their faces! Next we were able to have meal time with them and feed the babies... We were so amazed at how well behaved the kids were and how sweet they were!  As we prepared to leave, they sang a song of thanksgiving to us!  This was an experience my children will never forget.   Below is a picture of all of the kids and their nannies...
After leaving the orphanage, we walked the cobblestone streets of Antigua.  What a charming, quiet little town with many beautiful Mayan people that come in from their villages to sell their woven fabrics and handy work...
I love this picture...three Mayan girls carrying
their fabrics on their heads and my girls 
watching in amazement. 
We stopped by a little market where we became
friends with these women.  They were so
cute, we got a hat for Bowen and some
cute little purses!
We were excited to get to our hotel and just
hang out for the night...

3 comments:

alison said...

I LOVE those chubby baby pictures of Bowen. It is amazing how much ALL the kids have grown sense Bo Bo has come. I am loving following this story all over again. Thanks.

Erin said...

You know that I love all of your children...to see them in these photos really reminds me how loving and compassionate they are...how they care so much for other children! These pictures are beautiful, I hope that you can frame them all! What a special day in the life of your family. I just love this post... it makes me smile & get teary eyed!

Tami said...

I had no idea you took your whole family and did a service. That is my dream vacation. Bowen is so darn cute!! And I love your blog!!